"Tell me again. What was the number? What? Keep talking... 2137 W. Bend Rd. Eagerton, Oregon. What? What was the zip? OK. 2137 W. Bend Rd., Eagerton, Oregon. What? Beaverton, Beaverton, Beaverton, Oregon. Oh, it's Beaverton."
He was talking so loudly it was impossible to not hear every word. A very tall, lean guy behind me said, "I wonder what would happen if we all talked on blue tooths in here. It would be insane." I just had to add, "There are signs all over the place saying NO CELL PHONE USE."
A woman behind the guy behind me, with wild gray hair sticking straight up, wearing an over-sized faded sweat shirt with a bird on it, and non-descript baggy pants on, in a gravelly, monotone voice, said, "What about at the grocery store when they come in talking and the whole time they're shopping, it's 'should I get tomato or chicken noodle'....that drives me crazy." The man behind me said, "Well, they do come in handy, don't they?"
The gray-haired woman said she was from Chicago and she couldn't believe how many people ride bikes in Phoenix and how dangerous the bicycle lanes are. The guy behind me agreed with her that they are very dangerous and how easy it is to veer into the bicycle lane.
I guess I was feeling chatty, so I had to add that I do cycle but I try to stay on the in-between the streets - in between the major streets. The gray-haired woman asked the tall guy where he was from. He told her had lived all over the world and had lived in Phoenix for six years.
The gray-haired woman repeated that she was from Chicago, and in her gravelly, monotone voice said, "Ya just can't get good pizza in Phoenix. I really miss Chicago pizza." The tall guy said, "Have you tried Ci-bo's in central Phoenix? It is great pizza. The guy is from Chicago and he knows how to make good pizza." She said she had never heard of Ci-bo's and where was it. He told her where it was on 7th Street and Roosevelt. I knew it was 7th Avenue so I told him it was 7th Avenue and then I heard "Next!"
It was my turn.
No comments:
Post a Comment