Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Milestone Birthday

What a great party my children threw to mark my milestone birthday.

They have been really sweet calling my 60th birthday my "milestone" birthday.

(Instead of saying the word S I X T Y)

A couple of months ago they kept asking me what I wanted to do to celebrate.  Did I want to go to Disneyland?  A cruise? Durant's? 

no no and no.

I thought about it for a while and said I wanted to have a backyard birthday party with all my kids there and all of the grandkids running wildly, and my friends and family.

I wanted balloons and banners and games for the kids.  

I wanted give aways for my guests 

and party hats 

and a photo booth

flowers

music

great food

and ice cream and cake




Well, they did that and more!

They worked so hard, pulling it all together.

About a week or two before the party I started asking questions about it.


They were very non-committal, like, 

"Oh, yeah. I need to talk to Nat."

or

"Oh yeah.  I need to talk to Nellie"

or

"Oh yeah. I need to talk to Sarah"

Jack advised me to not worry about it and just enjoy my party.

They descended on Saturday evening

hanging banners, setting up tables, bringing coolers.

Sunday, I went to Mass with John and Cecilia and the Welters

The priest's sermon was about how quickly life passes.

He was directing his talk to the children all gathered around him but it kind of felt like he
was directing it to 

ME.

He said that we are born, we grow up, we grow old we get sick

and we die.

And that we need to say we are sorry when we offend those near and dear to us.

He kept repeating,

"Tick tock, tick tock, life passes quickly"

I mean, come on!

It was my 60th birthday and I am constantly reminded how quickly life passes!!!

(I think they tipped him off)


Anywho, 

afterwards I went to Nordstrom's and had my make up done,

and bought a bunch of

"youth preserving make-up",

came home,

put on some party clothes and I was ready for the party!

My house and yard were transformed.

I mean there were banners, balloons (80 Stella advised me)

flowers, food, photos, creative banners, a photo booth......

the photos tell the story:

(by the way, this party was well documented! Nellie took almost 200 photos, John took about 150, Cecilia took about 150 and I took around 50!!)

Here are just a few:



Nell set up a photo booth 



same group a moment later


Me and my crew



Look at those cakes

I like the way Jack and I are looking at each other



Sarah made both masterpiece cakes 




This is a before the party shot


Banners by Nat




Getting set up for the gala




I told Sarah I wanted to have something fun for the kids

so she got temporary tattoos and set up a table where she applied all the tattoos to the kids -

they loved it.



Jack and I cracking each other up!




Photo board I put together 



Jack sporting his new Dbacks jacket from Uncle John




Nattie went for the retro look.

so pretty.



This was at the post, post party.

Cohen finally melted down.

poor little guy




Me and Lil

she had a peace sign tattoo



with Soph and Lil at the photo booth



I said I wanted party hats -

look at these cute hats 




party banner




This scarf is from John





He purchased it while in Jordan

soooooooo

I was wrapped up as if I were wearing it in Jordan

(notice the fake eyelash starting to come off)



The party was over.....



John and Cecilia sitting on tiny chairs




eating cake with Cohen



with Sarah at the photo booth

apparently she was unaware that we were getting our photo taken




The three girls

what a great job they did!





photo booth shot




more photo booth fun



is this the cutest shot in the world, or what?






Well, I did say I wanted the grandkids running wild

it was getting late here.....



Whew


that is a lot of photos and there are so many more!

We told people they were invited to write a limerick if they would like.

My friend Janny could not attend the gala event but she sent me a limerick:



Miss Beth

Miss Beth is a woman with class
Though she thinks that she has a big ass
"It's all in the trunk"
She'd say in a funk
But I think she is quite a nice lass.

At sixty she looks really good
And well that I think that she should
She hikes and she runs
Ans she has all the funs
That ever a sixty girl could.

So hurray for Miss Beth on this day
We smile and we wish and we pray
That Bethie will be 
One hundred and three
Before she flys off far away.

Your friend and buddy

Janny





Finally,

I asked for a give-away for the attendees.

Nell provided these cool cups.

She enlisted her cousin Joan to do the artwork.

What a party.

It'll take me a year to recover.

In the morning, all was well. I was a little groggy but

was not missing any teeth, no permanent tattoos, no arrests, and I was still single!

4 comments:

  1. WHAT A WONDERFUL PARTY...A HUMDINGER OF ONE INDEED. IT LOOKS LIKE ALL OF YOUR WISHES WERE GRANTED. ALL OF YOUR POST WAS GREAT, WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE. I LOVED THE EYELASHES. YOU LOOKED SO PRETTY. LOVE, HJW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mom you would have loved the whole thing. It was a blast. We missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It DOES look like all of your wishes were granted. The tile makes your yard look like a resort, and the photo booth was a cute idea. People as lovely as all of you are SHOULD have their photos taken, regularly! Such a beautiful family, and look where it all started, beautiful Beth!
    See you soon in your new work station.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories for all! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete