It is 2048 hours and I am on the bus heading back to home base.
We just finished watching Midnight in Paris.... Perfect movie to watch after spending two days in Paris. Now we are watching The Count of Monte Christo.
Our guide is very knowledgeable about French history. So we heard about Napolean ( major egomaniac),Louis IX ( built a beautiful church, St. Chapelle, and was the only King canonized), Katherine from Italy who built the Luxemburg palace, and on and on...
The catacombs were closed ( because of poor air circulation), but, the catacombs...what a story... In1700's ( I think), Paris ran out of room in the cemeteries, so they moved 6 million skeletons to the catacombs. The chemical makeup of the ground preserves the bones. They needed to clear the cemeteries to make more room in the city for building. Now all the cemeteries are in the suburbs. Creepy.
There are 10 million people living in Paris and the suburbs.
I must return! It has been 20 years since I last visited Paris. I went with Nell. She was 15......where does the time go?
I took about 200 photos.... Here are some of my favorites .
Oh, and
Thanks
For all the comments after my last post. They make me want to keep typing one fingered on my iPad.
:-)














lovely pics....so much to take in in two days
ReplyDeleteI like the pic of you with the eiffel tour! Looks like you've done so much with your time in Europe!!!
ReplyDeleteoops... tower not tour.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kelly. Yes, I have had an opportunity to do some great travels!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kelly, the pic of you with your cute hat by the Eiffel Tower at night is the best in this batch. The "Beth as statue" shots aren't bad either. Cute!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy! It was a magical place!
ReplyDeletehaha, nell is 35.
ReplyDeletelove the pics and stories. i'm gonna google who survived jumping off the eiffel tower.
Right on, anonymous Sarah.
ReplyDelete