Most people who know me, know that I like to wander around cemeteries. I enjoy reading epitaphs and the dates of births and deaths, and try to figure out when and how someone died. I imagine my grandfather's first wife died during the flue epidemic in 1918. If she hadn't died then he would not have married my grandmother and have five daughters, and then my mother would not have been born, and she wouldn't have met my father and then yours truly would not have been born and so forth and so forth.
Anyway, I also enjoy messages carved in trees and rocks. Here in the heavily wooded area of Germany, I have been noticing many carvings. Some are so old that the tree has grown around the carvings and they have been filled in, leaving a hint of a heart or an initial or a year. I am drawn to the images, trying to identify dates and names.
So,I took my camera with me on my afternoon hike and photographed rocks, and trees and some moss-covered steps deep in the woods where I go a-wandering.
See if you can make out some of the names and dates I see:
MEIXNER. 1957
Angie 87
KINO 70
80
KF 19 79
JH 70
A heart with a dagger
A naked woman
A heart with German words in it ( I think it may be of a sexual nature).
Oh, and I purchased a traditional folk hat, complete with feather to wear when I go a-wandering.
:-)














No comments:
Post a Comment