Monday, June 7, 2010

Towne Place

These are pictures from where I am staying. The "T" photo in front of the hotel is either for the state of Texas or for Towne Place. I am not sure which, because for some reason I keep seeing "T" and the outline of Texas. Not sure why - but for some reason people are compelled to remind each other that this is Texas!

Just different since I never see outlines of Arizona or "A", in Arizona. T is for Texas! I am in Texas! Texas, that is. That is where I am.






After my first night here I went out to my rental car and there it was with a dent in it. Someone ran into it and did not leave calling card. All I could think of was how upset I would have been if it was MY car that had been dented.

The rental car -

I just don't have a lot of attachment to it.

I called the rental car company and they said to bring it in and they would give me another one but I just didn't feel like it. It still runs just fine.

On Sunday morning I decided I just had to have a New York Times to get me through the day. I went to Walgreen's' they sent me to the grocery store; the grocery store sent me to Starbucks; Starbucks sent me to another Starbucks where I finally found a New York Times. Now I can savor it all week. Now I know where to get it next Sunday.

Ft. Hood is 330 square miles and I had no idea where I was going. At one point I had to drive from one end to the other - with only a map for guidance. I found myself getting frustrated because J was not keeping up with me.
She would lag behind and I kept thinking

"Come On Woman! Drive!".

She was also slow walking and talking and I found myself feeling like she should really get a move on it.
Later when the group was introducing ourselves to each other, J revealed that she was 75 years old!!

I felt so guilty. My heart melted. She has five children and her husband was killed in the Korean War. She has been in this field for 45 years!!

Sometimes I just have to get reminded to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n in the most humbling ways. She is a real go-getter.

Introducing herself to EVERYONE we meet, even flagging people down in cars at stoplights ( I am now driving her around since it was challenging for her to keep up with me.)

She waves at the people and they roll down their window and she says, "Hi, I'm J . We are here to help you. Here is my card

They just look at her and say "Thank you, ma'am."

We have a daily quota of contacts on the base we are supposed to make each day.
We met today with the chaplain who gave us the background of the people we are going to start seeing tomorrow at 0730 until 1530 hours. We will be seeing at least 10 or 11 people a day. We are going to be busy. I better get to bed!

2 comments:

  1. who knows what j has been through, bless her heart. did you say you were in TESAS?!!! nice that you're staying at the marriot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post ma. i like J. she sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete