Sunday, April 14, 2013

Delmar...and a cloudy afternoon in San Diego

The sun shines most of the days here in Southern California


as it does in Arizona

but not this weekend.

Yesterday was cloudy and then sunny and I went on a fantastic 8 mile hike

at Lake Poway which is one of the HUNDREDS of fabulous hikes in this area.

(my friend Judy gave me a big fat book of hikes for the San Diego area)

The thing I am most surprised about is how hilly it is here.

There are hills and hills and hills 

and neighborhoods and neighborhoods and neighborhoods.

They all look similar to each other.


I get lost a LOT!

but that it ok.  

I know that if I head west, sooner or later I run into that massive body of water

known at the 

 Pacific Ocean

and it is a mighty and powerful presence.

My hair is especially wavy

with lots of body

very different than my beloved desert existence.

I like it a lot.


Today was cloudy and chilly - I think the high was 60.

brrr.....

but people here run around in shorts and work out clothes

sleeveless, no jackets

even the little kids

brrrrrrrr.....

not this desert rat....

my body is accustomed to warmth

so I am FREEZING.

Today I explored Delmar, a small town on the water, several miles to the south of me.

One of my  co-workers is living in a funky house about two blocks from the beach.

I'm jealous.

We went to some re sale shops and purchased a few items for work.

I'm homesick,

even though I was home last weekend and I'm only 5 hours away.

I made lots of phone calls.

My dear mother in Indiana, was just putting dinner in the oven,

I wish I was at my mom's for dinner.

Roast beef, carrots, potatoes, onions.


YUM



One of the grand old oaks on my hike yesterday.....






This was part of the art at the renovated library in Delmar 




the Delmar Library




a larger view of the artwork at the library




love that historic California 101

it runs along the coast






I have seen groups of pelicans

maybe 25 or 30 flying in formation around sunset along the coast

it is a fantastic view.....



Being a girl from the desert, 

the abundance of flora and fauna 

are amazing!!!!



crosswalk



yours truly at the beach



what are those brown clumps on the beach?????





4 comments:

  1. you looked great and so relaxed. since we were talking while you were drivung around ifeel like i was seeing it all with you. loved the tree.....hjw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair, and the water.
    And I also love your attitude.
    I guess it's time to make a roast?
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miss Espana.....yes, it's odd, I'm not all that far from home but I'm feeling a need for the comforts of home.....my mom's home...Sunday dinner. Roast beef with veggies, a salad, bread, and possibly chocolate cream pie - but first a big fat martini ;- 0

    ReplyDelete