Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bisbee Loop Hike



 Since I have been down here in southern AZ,

I have heard about a five mile loop hike 

high above the town of Bisbee.

I've been wanting to do this hike but did not know where it was located.

My hiking friend, Connie suggested we do the hike before I leave the area

(next week).

So,

off we went on Tuesday late afternoon.

The hike begins and ends at Brewery Gulch.

The area has quite a history with the miners

and the mine and all that went on in this 

wild west town back in the early 1900's.




 One of the many colorful walls in Bisbee.






 An abandoned old Chevrolet truck

on our way up the Gulch and out of town.






 An old shack had a fence made out of old iron head boards

was covered with various rusted pots and pans.







 artsy .... in a funky way





We came upon this peace sign made out of rocks

along the hike - it had been there for quite a while 

as you can see from all the grass growing inside the sign.

I bet some hippies put it together back in the 60's.

Bisbee is full of "old hippies"






This is me with the town of Bisbee below

and in the distance is the massive remainder/reminder

of the copper mine.
 






Bourvardia ternifolia

( Firecrackerbush )

a brightly covered bush sprinkled along the trail.






 This was the top of a deep set of stairs which is part of an annual race called the 

"Bisbee 1000" 

where 1000 steps are climbed.

There are many staircases in Bisbee since it was built on a mountain.

Note the GIANT agave next to me!





We finished back where we started

on Brewery Gulch

where there is a micro-brewery.

We enjoyed an ice-cold Belgian Whitbeer

it was delicious!!



;-)

 






The day ended with a gorgeous sunset 

seen from my car window on my way home.


3 comments:

  1. wondweful hike for you. wild country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That agave looks prehistoric. I think I would like Bisbee. Nice hike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, you would like Bisbee. Lot's of re-sale shops and artsy stuff to see and lots of characters roaming around!

    ReplyDelete